Ysgol Dyffryn Conwy – ‘Together we can reach our potential.’
Here you can find information about the school including our school Prospectus, Key Dates and News about school events, activities and success stories. You can also keep up to date through our Twitter account @ysgdyffrynconwy.
The school is situated in a beautiful location in the Conwy Valley and provides a bilingual education for pupils from our 15 feeder primary schools within the valley. We provide education both through the medium of Welsh and through the medium of English – depending on each pupil’s language aquisition and transition from primary school. As a school we are extremely fortunate in our site – new buildings in a picturesque environment. Our ammenities are of a very high standard and are well kept creating an environment that stimulates and supports learning.
Our academic standards are high an this year (2016) we have had the school’s best ever results at both GCSE and A Level. These are also the highest GCSE Results in Conwy in the main indicators. We are extremely proud of the hard work, academic success and readiness to learn our pupils have demonstrated. You can read more about the academic and extracurricular successes of our pupils on our news page.
Please get in touch if there are suggestions you would like to see us including on our website. If you are looking to attend the school for year 7 or for A Levels from September 2018 don’t hesitate to get in touch to discuss what we can offer!
Our school uniform is changing for 2018 onwards. You can read more about the new school uniform, including our updated School Uniform Policy, Guidance on the school uniform and information about local suppliers in the following documents.
New School Uniform Letter - click here
2018-19 School Uniform Guidance - click here
2018-19 School Uniform 6th Form Guidance - click here
2018 School Uniform Policy - click here
Following the annual Categorisation process, we are very pleased with the continued recognition of our capacity as a school to continue to improve and raise standards whilst also supporting other schools. We continue to receive support as a yellow category school from GWE, our Regional Consortia. You can read more about the Categorisation process and the school’s performance through the following link. http://mylocalschool.wales.gov.uk/School/6624035?lang=en
The school has no religious affiliation and religious education is provided in accordance with the Conwy agreed syllabus. If a parent objects to their child receiving religious instruction or attending the morning assembly on conscientious grounds, other suitable arrangements can be made.
Health and sex education is taught modularly through a series of lessons. The programme covers sex education, the importance of healthy eating, keeping fit and personal cleanliness. Other suitable arrangements can be made, if you as parents object to your child taking part in sex education lessons.
Ysgol Dyffryn Conwy School Site:
The school is situated on a picturesque site on the outskirts of Llanrwst town. For over 12 years the school has been on one site. The site is managed to a high standard by a PFI company in an agreement with Conwy Authority. The company also manage and maintain the school's catering services.
On the site is a purpose built Leisure Centre available exclusively for school use during school hours and until 4.15pm during term time. A sports field and other purposeful areas, including an astroturf are available to encourage the use and enjoyment of the outdoor spaces around the school site. This is supplemented by a wide range of extracurricular activities held both at lunch time and after the school day, often run through local partnerships and by our senior pupils running sessions for our younger pupils.
We are also fortunate in our purpose built accommodation for subjects such as Music, Art, Drama, Science and Technology.
• An interactive whiteboard is located in each classroom.
• We have 5 purpose built ICT rooms in addition to trolleys accessible for all areas of learning. Recent investment in I-pads and other electronic resources complements these base resources. In addition a combination of lap tops and computers are available in the 6th form Study Room.
• A virtual learning platform (Moodle/HWB) is available for pupils to access their work and learning resources from anywhere both during the school day and to support self study and study at home.
- All pupils use computer facilities including Internet access as an essential part of learning, as required by the National Curriculum. Both pupils and their parents/carers are asked to sign to show that the e-safety Rules have been understood and agreed.
- The school and ‘Conwy Net’ will take all reasonable precautions (filtering software) to ensure that pupils cannot access inappropriate materials but this is a difficult task as new websites and proxy sites may bypass these precautions .
Use of photography and digital images of children:
- The Data Protection Act 1998 affects our use of photography. This is because an image of a child is personal data for the purpose of the Act and it is a requirement that consent is obtained from the parent of a child or young person under the age of 18 years for any photographs or video recordings for purposes beyond the school’s core educational function. (e.g. school web sites, school productions). It is also important to ascertain the views of the child.
- It is likely that there will be a number of occasions during a child’s time in educational activity when the school may wish to photograph or video a pupil.
Consent is sought when the pupil starts at the school to last for the duration of their stay. Parents/carers retain the right to withdraw consent at any stage, but they need to do so in writing.
For further details please contact the school for a copy of our e-safety and Photographic Image policy.
Statement of Intent
Ysgol Dyffryn Conwy has a policy to adopt procedures for the health, safety and welfare of all persons within the workplace. The school will meet this goal by working in partnership with Conwy’s Corporate Health and Safety Section, Conwy Education Services, Education Enterprise, Sodexo, Governors, Staff, Parents and Pupils to provide effective support, advice, guidance and appropriate enforcement relating to health, safety and welfare issues.
Please find attached a letter showing the new charge for school meals - click here
Also attached are forms that enable you to claim Free School Meals (FSM) - click here
The canteen uses a biometric cashless scheme. This allows Automatic free meal allocation with the pupil remaining anonymous.
Maybe you could be eligible for Free School Meals.
If you are eligible we urge you to claim because the more pupils on FSM within the school the greater the school’s budget allocation from the authority
Sodexo School Meals-Allergy Procedure - click here
Sodexo Food Allergy Request Form - click here
The school celebrates the talents of our pupils as you will see from our annual magazine, Y Bont. As a member of NACE Cymru*, supporting and developing our pupils’ talents and ability is important to us. The school will do everything possible to give our pupils the opportunity to develop their special talent - be it an academic talent or a talent in a different area such as the arts or sport. If you would like to discuss this matter further, please contact the school.
If you would like to get in touch with the school about your child’s talents, please fill in the form.
Ysgol Dyffryn Conwy, in accordance with the requirements of the Welsh National Assembly Circular 03/2004, has established a procedure to consider general complaints. In compliance with the requirements of this circular, every complaint is taken seriously and treated impartially. Every
complaint is dealt with promptly and within a specific time.
All complaints should be referred to the Head in the first instance.